Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Sense of An Ending by Julian Barnes

( Image borrowed from Inquirer.net)


This book is hands down my favorite book for 2012. This was originally published in 2011. But I've read it this year only so we're talking my time frame baby haha.

Anyway, I wanted to find the Philippine cover that has "International  Bestseller" then "Winner of the Man Booker Prize" on the top type, but I couldn't find a picture for it. Thank you, Inquirer.net, for letting me borrow this picture from your site.

I've never met a "Man Booker Prize" book awardee that I didn't like. And I hope I never will. I'm very happy with the Man Booker Prize awardees so far. And I look forward to being impressed every year hereon.

The Sense of an Ending is a beautifully written book. The style is simple. It's story-telling at its most basic but at its best. I've never been so entranced, enthralled and riveted by a story. (Too many of the same feeling adjectives but I felt them all!) And I've never let out as big as a gasp when the plot's climax was finally revealed in the end. I sat motionless for some long minutes after finishing the book -- in awe of the way this storyline was developed and woven. I love love love love LOVE this book.

Please read it to appreciate. It's short (just 163 pages) and seemingly uncomplicated. But it will surprise you.

A definite must read.