Saturday, September 11, 2021

Quarantine Series: Buying Vegetables and Fruits Online in Cebu

It's been a while since I've checked into my blog. Truth be told, I forgot I had it! 

Life moved fast the last few years, and it's taken me away from Cebu and from writing. Since 2020 I had come back home to quarantine and I've been here ever since. While I'm very happy to be with family during these trying times, coming home to my mom's rules as an adult has been wrought with challenges (drama!). But I'll talk about that another time. 

For today and for the next few posts, I'll be writing about my new Cebu discoveries, majority of them from the comforts of my house. Dad is stricter than the IATF, but this topic also needs to be parked for another time. Daghan parental issues ba. 

Anyway! Back to the topic at hand!

When the quarantine was first imposed, one of the hardest things for me to source was fresh fruits and vegetables. Going to the supermarket was the preferred option pre-lockdown. But in March 2020, Cebu had very little options for online supermarkets. There was only Landers, and the vegetable selection there was either too pricey or too limited. So I had to find alternative ways of ordering these online.

There was a time when I liked sourcing select items from Banilad Homemakers Marketplace and Let's Eat Bai (both FB groups). But it was challenging sourcing 1-2 items for 1 seller. Aside from the effort to message a lot of sellers, the delivery fees added up. Enter: GGG Fruits and Vegetables Supply and Aldrigel Farms Corporation!

I found these two Facebook pages just by searching Google. And they've been the two most reliable options I've tried in these 1.6 years. Key notes:

  • If GGG did not reduce their assortment of fruits and veggies, I would have preferred ordering from them since the ordering process is more "structured". And by that I mean it uses a google form link. They also manage their inventory well and out-of-stock items are rare.
  • Aldrigel has a good selection of fruits and veggies + they added other pantry staples like sugar and eggs etc. Quality is very good. Delivery in the Talamban area is very reliable (if they say Tuesday, abot jud Tuesday). The process of ordering is also just via FB messenger, so it's super easy. The one con is they can't guarantee that everything you ordered is available upon delivery. Since these stocks are perishable and subject to the  supply from the farms, some of the items you ordered will likely be unavailable in the final delivered box. These guys are my primary fruits and veggie suppliers these days, even if I'm allowed to go to the palengke or supermarkets already. It's super convenient, so I'm hooked!
  • My mom actually prefers Baratong Gulay Online, but I've personally not ordered there myself. Ordering is also just via FB messenger. And the quality is also really good.

Hope these online fruits and veggie online options helps you.

Keep safe my fellow Cebuano!